Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Snowy End To 2013

Back in December of 2013 we had a brief snowfall in Vancouver and it suddenly occurred to me that in all the time I've had my camera (3yrs now!) I've never taken snow pictures with it. So with small flakes still drifting down I bundled up and braved the elements before it turned to rain.

Davie Street. No buses getting up the hill today.


Vancouver is a city ruled by umbrellas. I still don't really understand why people bother with them in the snow though. Umbrellas are for rain or for creating shade on a hot sunny day!


I love the quietness, sense of isolation and starkness a snowfall brings.


Those who have followed my photographic adventures over the past 3yrs will know I have a recurring fascination with benches... So here's another one for the collection! Corner vignetting added by me and is intentional ;)


A cold day to be a Blue Heron.


I like the perspective on this one but it would have worked better if I'd turned and looked back sooner so the silhouetted pedestrian was better featured.



Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink except for this lone drinking fountain.


Thinking of making this next one a Christmas card for next holiday season.


Or maybe this one too...


This is one of my favorites - The water in the lagoon was just starting to freeze over but was still watery enough to reflect. The tree branch layered in snow feels like a gnarly hand reaching down to touch the surface.


Another Christmas card possibility?


Or how about this one?


I'm not really sure what these were (crabapples?) but I love their little snow hats. The entire tree was festooned in them.


Another "snow hat", this time on the bud of a magnolia.


Towards the end of my walk, on the edge of Stanley Park, I came across this fir tree which someone had chosen to decorate.



Just for fun, here's the closest thing I'll ever get to doing a "selfie"...


For those of you interested in the technical side of things, all of these pictures were taken with my trusty old Canon 60D paired with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 - I have to say I am really, really impressed with this lens. Many of these shots were captured wide open and of the many I took almost all of them were sharp and those that weren't were more down to user error than any fault with the lens. Great to see a company like Sigma step it up and give the big guys a run for their money all while doing it at a great wallet-friendly price point.

Over Christmas I was on the Sunshine Coast and got some great pictures while on a post-turkey feast hike. I'll try and share those soon.

Hope you all had a fantastic Christmas, let me take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year and the very best of wishes for a healthy, prosperous and inspiring 2014.

Comment below with which image you like best and I'll send you a Christmas card next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment